Vegan Shepherd's Pie
This is a vegan-friendly twist on a classic comfort food. Although the recipe calls for olive oil and unsweetened almond or soymilk as non-dairy options, for a creamier flavor yet still vegetarian-friendly version, you can swap the olive oil for butter and almond milk for 2% milk.
For the filling:
⦁ 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
⦁ 2 cloves garlic, minced
⦁ 2 tbsp. olive oil
⦁ 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
⦁ 1, 14.5 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
⦁ 3 medium to large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
⦁ 1 lb. of crimini mushrooms, sliced
⦁ 2 tbsp. tomato paste
⦁ 1 1/2 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce (I use Annie's Organic Vegan Worcestershire)
⦁ 1 tsp. salt
⦁ 1/2 tsp. black pepper
⦁ 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
⦁ 1 Tbs. wheat flour
⦁ 1 tsp. fresh thyme (2 tsp. if dried)
⦁ 1 tsp. fresh oregano (2 tsp. if dried)
⦁ paprika for dusting
For the potato topping:
⦁ 4 yukon gold potatoes
⦁ 1/4 cup unflavored soymilk or almond milk
⦁ 1-2 tsp. olive oil
⦁ Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Bring a medium-sized pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, wash and chop the potatoes in quarters. You can peel them first, but I actually prefer some skins in my mashed potatoes!
3. Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until softened.
4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat and sautee onions until soft and transluscent (about 5 minutes). Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook until they begin to shrink and release some water (about 5-7 minutes).
5. Add the thyme, oregano, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, peas and corn. Sauté another 2-3 minutes, being sure to toss everything well.
6. Add the vegetable broth and flour and stir. Then, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are soft and the mixture has thickened slightly.
7. Drain the potatoes in a colander and mash together with the almond or soymilk, olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Transfer the pea/corn mixture to a 9X9 baking dish and spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Sprinkle with paprika.
9. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.