Southwestern Beans & Rice
This quick and easy weeknight dinner is loaded with protein and fiber and makes for a filling meal that is perfect for lunches too!
- 1, 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1, 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 each of a large yellow and red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp. each cumin, chili powder and paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 4 scallions, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro and sliced avocado for toppings
- Cook the rice in the vegetable broth by bringing broth and rice to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until liquid is evaporated and rice is cooked.
- In the meantime, in a medium sized skillet warm the oil on medium heat to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the scallions and garlic, sautéing gently until softened and aromatic (about 3 minutes).
- Add the red and yellow bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt and mix well. Sauté another 4-5 minutes until bell pepper is softened.
- Add the beans, corn, and lime juice. Stir together until beans and corn are heated through.
- Once the rice is done cooking, spoon rice into individual serving bowls and top with the bean and corn mixture, fresh cilantro, and sliced avocado.