Baja Tofu Tacos with Mango Salsa & Avocado Cream
This light and fresh twist on fish tacos uses tofu instead, and is perfect for a warm spring evening or a Cinco de Mayo party! Crispy chili lime tofu is accompanied by mango cilantro salsa, cabbage slaw, and avocado cream sauce in warmed corn tortillas. This recipe is made to be completely vegan, but feel free to top your tacos with Greek yogurt or a sprinkle of feta or Cotija cheese if desired.
For the mango salsa
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced into small bite-sized cubes
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup finely diced red onion (~1/2 small red onion)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of half a lime
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Directions: Toss all ingredients into a large bowl and set aside.
For the tofu
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) extra firm tofu
- 2 tbs. cornstarch*
- 2 tbs. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- Red pepper
For the avocado cream sauce
- Juice of ½ large lime
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tbs. diced cilantro
- Dash of salt and pepper
Directions: Blend all ingredients in a food processor or immersion blender until creamy.
1. Drain and press tofu to remove excess liquid by wrapping tofu block in a few paper towels or clean dish towel and place on a small plate under 3-5 lbs. of weight (I use a few cutting boards, and have even used a book or two placed on top of cutting boards). Just be careful that your tofu doesn't topple over. Of course you can use an official tofu press if you've got that on hand!
2. Press the tofu completely for 30 minutes to remove excess liquid. Hint: this is the key to getting crispy tofu instead of soggy tofu, so don't skip this step.
3. Whisk all the spices and corn starch in a shallow bowl that you can dip tofu in. *Note: cornstarch will help to coat the tofu slices and make them crispy when you pan fry them.
4. After the tofu is done pressing, thinly slice into squares or triangles (make sliced about 1/2" thick so they cook up nice and crispy) and generously coat each piece in the spice rub. Cook on medium heat in a skillet – about 6-8 minutes each side or until browned. Squeeze a generous amount of fresh lime over the top when done. Set aside.
- Corn tortillas (lightly pan fried on dry heat or warmed in the microwave)
- Purple or green cabbage slaw (or a blend of both - can even opt for bagged pre-cut cabbage with matchstick carrots)
- Cotija or feta cheese (if not vegan)
- Plain Greek yogurt (if not vegan)
- Extra lime wedges for garnish
Assemble tofu, mango salsa, cabbage slaw, and avocado cream sauce onto corn tortillas. Add additional desired toppings and enjoy!