Tomato Basil Soup
The rain was drumming softly on the roof the other night and the leaves have started to turn their brilliant fall colors, so I thought this would be a perfect night to whip up one of my favorite homemade tomato soups. This soup is perfect for cold days, but one of the reasons I love it is because it's so EASY and takes under 45 minutes to make, which is a huge plus for me and my hectic schedule. This soup is wonderful with sourdough toast or grilled cheese sandwiches.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 - 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 - 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (in their own juice)
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock made from vegetable bouillon*
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup half and half (or plain soymilk if vegan)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- Grated parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- In a large (3-4 quart) saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Chop the onions and add to saucepan, sautéing gently until translucent and fragrant (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and heat for 1 minute, being careful not to burn. Add the canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, and basil. Stir all together well.
- Add the vegetable stock and tomato paste and cover, simmering on low for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the half and half or soymilk. Using a handheld immersion blender, gently puree the soup. You can also transfer the soup in batches and puree in a blender.
- Serve topped with additional basil or Parmesan cheese.
- *I always use Better than Bouillon (either the "no chicken" vegetarian bouillon or the vegetable bouillon) for all my soups rather than vegetable broth. I find that it provides a much more savory flavor that is needed for vegetarian soups. Simply mix 1 tsp. bouillon with 1 cup water and boil.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 16 (8 oz. cups of soup)
Per serving: 48 calories, 6 grams of carbohydrate, 1.2 grams protein, 2 grams fat